Saturday, January 12, 2008

A little boy's village

Nine years ago, I made a quilt for my grandson when he was 2. It had a cute little village with roads for cars and fun things like an airport, post office, barber shop ect. He rode his Matchbox cars on it and then covered up with it for a nap. I made it from 2 yards of fabric. This Christmas I made one for my 3 year old grandson and had about 1 yard of fabric left over. I'm quilting on it now and it should be my first finished project of the year. I don't have any use for it presently, but it's part of my "Quilt from my Stash" project. If I put the fabric back, I'll never get around to it again and I want to be finished with it.

Unfortunately, I didn't quite have enough backing fabric, so I am puzzling over how to add to the backing. I'm vacillating between trying to match it with another similar fabric, or doing something totally different. I've been thinking about giving my grandchildren some fabric crayons and letting them color anything they want on the piece that I will add. The more I think about that idea, the better I like it. This would make the quilt really special and might even look like I did it on purpose!

No comments: